Sunday, May 16, 2010

ANZAC Day.

I can't believe I forgot to write to you all and tell you about Anzac Day in Spain!


For those of you (if there are any) that don't know what Anzac Day is, I'll give you a little bit of history. ANZAC stands for Australian & New Zealand Army Corps. This was the name given to the Australian and New Zealand army, which was formed in Egypt 1915. They fought at Gallipoli, and was the first time Australians really fought as their own army. During the WWI, many died at Gallipoli and Anzac Day is a day where all Australians commemorate the soldiers that fought at Gallipoli during WWI, and now also honours all that have served or died for Australia. It is held on the 25/4 and is an extremely important day for Australia and New Zealand.

Every year, my family have had the tradition of attending the dawn service on Anzac Day. We wake up before dawn, go down the bowling club, and attend the dawn service, afterwards having a big breakfast. I wanted to still do a dawn service here in Spain, and that's exactly what I did!

I asked my host family if they wanted to wake up at dawn, and join in with me, but they said that they prefered sleeping, so it was just me! I decided to go out by the river and hold my own little service there. The night before, I had gone out with friends, only getting back at 3:30, and woke up at 6, so I was pretty tired! I took myself and my laptop out to the river, where it was still quite dark. I hadn't gotten dressed, so I was still in my pyjamas, and while I walked the 40 m to the river, a car drove past and gave me the funniest look. Ah, the life of an exchanger!

Me and the river at Dawn :)

When I was at the river, I read 'For the Fallen' a poem by Laurence Binyon, which an excerpt is read out every Anzac Day.

With proud thanksgiving, a mother for her children,
England mourns for her dead across the sea.
Flesh of her flesh they were, spirit of spirit,
Fallen in the cause of the free.

Solemn the drums thrill: Death august and royal
Sings sorrow up into immortal spheres.
There is music in the midst of desolation
And a glory that shines upon our tears.

They went with songs to the battle, they were young,
Straight of limb, true of eye, steady and aglow.
They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted,
They fell with their faces to the foe.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

They mingle not with laughing comrades again;
They sit no more at familiar tables of home;
They have no lot in our labour of the day-time;
They sleep beyond England's foam.

But where our desires are and our hopes profound,
Felt as a well-spring that is hidden from sight,
To the innermost heart of their own land they are known
As the stars are known to the Night;

As the stars that shall be bright when we are dust,
Moving in marches upon the heavenly plain,
As the stars that are starry in the time of our darkness,
To the end, to the end, they remain.

The excerpt that is read out is:

They went with songs to the battle, they were young,
Straight of limb, true of eye, steady and aglow.
They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted,
They fell with their faces to the foe.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

We will remember them.
Lest we forget.

It was so great and moving to read these lines out, knowing that they were being read and this day was being celebrated all around the world. I then played the 'Last Post' and then the 'Reveille', followed by a minutes silence. All the while, watching the sun rise in Spain. It was definitely different to a normal Anzac Day; me in my pyjamas by the river with my laptop, no one else there... but definitely special and moving. I felt so very blessed to be able to do this. It definitely made me want to go to Gallipoli for Anzac Day one year, and is now on my to do list.

I went back to bed after the sun had risen, and slept in till 12 pm. Afterwards, Ana, María y yo made Anzac biscuits! We didn't have any coconut, or any golden syrup, instead making them with honey, but they turned out to be a success! I didn't really like them as much as Australian ones, but everyone really loved them, including some friends of Ana, meaning that I have to go to their house to teach them! All in all, it was a great day, and I felt so Australian, and I felt so glad that I had been able to experience this overseas.

Making the Anzac Biscuits.

Anzac Biscuits completed.


Anzac day made me realise how much I love Australia, and how incredibly blessed I feel to have had these brave men and women fight to keep our country free; to keep our country a place where freedom of religion, belief, is allowed. So, to all of you who have fought or have died fighting for Australia, or any country, thank you for your sacrifice.

No comments:

Post a Comment